The Aberthaw Lime Works was opened in 1888, built to utilise the huge number of limestone pebbles on the beach.
Previously the pebbles had been taken inland or moved by boat.
The Pebble Limeworks Ltd. brought a new scale of working to the lime industry which up until then had been no more than a cottage industry.
The structure of the Limeworks is a listed building because of it is a well-preserved structure from an important regional industry.
The Lime Works closed in 1926 [wiki]